Saturday, November 29, 2008

13.1 Training Program Update

As the holiday season is in full-swing, it is becoming increasingly harder to stay on task with my training program. In order to successfully run P.F. Chang's Rock-N-Roll Half-Marathon in January, I've determined that it is imperative to start keeping a journal. If I write down my nutrition, supplements, and workouts I will be able to review how much I am eating, how my weight and body fat percentages are fluctuating, and use my journal as an all-around motivating tool. I did end up pulling a muscle in the middle of my back which is not only causing me discomfort, but is also making it difficult to take deep breaths. I am going to continue to work through the pain and most of all remember to be diligent to stretch! Stretching is something I have neglected, and this incident was a nice reminder to stay focused on a well-rounded workout.

I also realized that I haven't been taking in enough calories. Since I started my program a few weeks ago, I've had trouble falling asleep because my stomach was crying "Feed Me!" I didn't want to start breaking down muscle so I started drinking protein shakes before bed. I did a lot of research to find a shake that was dairy free, and found an excellent brand called Vega. Brendan Brazier, an Iron Man triathlete founded this plant-based meal replacement and has experienced excellent results! There are 25 grams of protein per serving and it comes from hemp, yellow pea, brown rice, flax and chlorella. It has a nice flavor, and definitely takes care of my hunger pangs. Overall, I am looking forward to the big event in Phoenix, and it will help keep me inspired even as I enjoy all of the colorful and festive food during the holidays.