Saturday, November 8, 2008

Training for a Half-Marathon

I've discovered that I do better when I have an event, like a half-marathon, to train for. Otherwise, I get a little bored with my exercise routine and easily lose motivation. I ran two half-marathons this year to see what all the hype was about, and I loved it. The energy that the runners bring, and the electricity that surrounds me makes me excited to be alive. I am inspired by all of the women who have amazing bodies to show for their hard work. I am invigorated by the people cheering me on at every mile giving me the extra boost I need, and the rush of adrenaline I get as I reach mile 11, then 12, and finally 13, is awesome. Both runs this year were learning experiences more than anything. I learned to become more in tune with my body, discovered what my limitations are, the importance of stretching and weight training, what I should eat, and how much I should drink. Training for a half-marathon introduces stricter discipline, and that discipline spills over into the different compartments and areas of my life.

Lately, I have been getting a little antsy and decided to look for a run that might stir a little excitement. I found one on January 18, 2009, in Phoenix called P.F. Chang’s Rock N Roll Arizona. They have 70 bands and 40 cheer squads, give away P.F. Chang’s gift certificates, t-shirts, and finisher medals. They also have a finish line party, and award tickets to the headliner concert that evening. My birthday is in January so I thought this would be the perfect way to celebrate. I have exactly 10 weeks to train, and start on Monday. I will run 4 days a week, weight train 2 days a week, and then take Sundays off. I will blog about my progress each week, my highs and lows, which will also help me to be accountable and keep on track. This week I will run 3 miles on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and then 4 miles on Saturday. I am so thankful to have a treadmill because the days are shorter and it is getting really cold, so this leaves me without excuse to get my runs in.

My husband has been my biggest inspiration for staying in shape and discovering my inner-athlete. He participated in Primal Qwest Montana in July of this year which is coined the ‘World’s Most Challenging Human Endurance Competition.’ He Mountain biked and hiked a total of 500 miles in 10 days. He is also the president of the adventure-racing club in our city and motivates me to reach new heights in challenging my mind and body. He is pretty amazing, and his passion for healthy competition has caused me to 'up my game' so much more than I otherwise would have.

If you are interested in marathons, triathlons are other events across the country I recommend you check out www.active.com and www.marathonguide.com for more information. Also, be sure to check out Nike’s shoe recycling program at www.nikereuseashoe.com. Challenge yourself to reach new peaks in 2009!