Sunday, November 2, 2008

Eat Local


I look forward to every Tuesday morning when a local farm, Los Poblanos, delivers fresh, organically grown produce to our doorstep. The swiss chard, figs, Jerusalem artichokes, eggplant, and roasted chili are among some of my favorites. It is a pleasure to support my local economy, and even more of a pleasure to eat of these wonderful, nutrient-dense foods! The produce I receive is some of the tastiest I've ever eaten. I also love the fact that the farm is fairly close to where I live and I am not contributing to further pollution and poor air quality. Sometimes watching the exhaust from the hundreds of thousands of tractor trailers on our inter-states makes me cringe. Whatever I can do to cause less environmental damage to our planet, I happily will! As a Nutrition student, I incessantly talk about my love for food, amazing recipes, and my passion for organic, "clean" living. Friends and family in other states have often asked me how they can find farms, co-ops or farmers markets in their local communities. Here are some very helpful websites to help in your quest for outstanding, locally grown foods: www.localharvest.org, www.eatwild.com, www.sustainabletable.org, www.eatwellguide.org, www.theorganicpages.com.

Finally, I will leave you with one of my favorite recipes from Farmer Monte. You will need fresh figs, goat cheese, and thinly sliced prosciutto. Cut the fig down the middle length-wise and stuff a little bit of goat cheese in the center. Take a small piece of prosciutto and wrap around the body of the fig. Warm in your toaster oven for 5 minutes or until the goat cheese is nice and warm. They make for wonderful hors d'oeuvres and are certain to wow your guests!